EDP - NPL Division
The NPL has been created to provide a unified national developmental platform with the highest level of competition in given geographic areas, and to elevate and change the competitive landscape of youth soccer based upon US Club Soccer's fundamental principles.
In early 2012, the EDP was invited by US Club Soccer to have its top boys and girls teams join the NPL.
The NPL extends developmental principals espoused by the U.S. Soccer Development Academy into younger age groups and additional clubs, providing a platform for long-term player development.
More specifically, the NPL provides a platform:
- focused on long-term player development
- for the countrys top soccer clubs, allowing consistent, meaningful high-level games appropriately scheduled with higher training-to-game ratios
- that allows players to be scouted and evaluated by U.S. Soccer National Staff and Technical Advisors
- that is designed and structured by the clubs, based on the needs of the clubs
- using international rules of competition
- that provides an avenue for qualification for the NPL Champions Cup.
- The NPL is an important component of US Club Soccer's 10-year vision to refine the landscape for competitive youth soccer. This vision recognizes that:
- Properly-structured youth soccer clubs are the vehicle through which player development does and must occur in the United States.
- Clubs should play in competitions that provide meaningful games, allow establishment of the proper training-to-game ratio, and eliminate calendar congestion.
- NPL, as well as the best clubs, should be integrated in US Club Soccer's id2 National Identification and Development Program, include Player Development Programs (PDPs) in select local markets, and work closely with U.S. Soccer staff regarding player identification, and player and coach development.
The culminating event each year is the NPL Champions Cup, where national championships will be awarded. The NPL Champions Cup will feature qualifiers from every NPL member program across the country in a true 'champions league' style competition.